Friday, October 12, 2012

i couldn't find a picture to make you interested in this post, so i just decided i didn't care.

I've been having the hardest time writing on this blog lately. Besides all the computer issues, just plain old lacking motivation. I think it's because I know exactly what I want to write, but now is not the time. There are some things you just can't write until you say them out loud, you know? And I've always had a problem with that. With the whole "saying things out loud" thing. In fact, I think I've probably written about it several times. So, sorry for the repetition? The amazing thing is that I am better at it now than I have ever been. I'm just waiting for the rest of my courage to kick in... and also for some of my pride to disappear I suppose.

But here are some things from the mouths of students who are definitely not afraid to say anything!

Me: Kim, you need to actually write about what you're reading...
Kim: I did.
Me: But this says, "I think I will learn to dance." Is this about the book? Or about you?
Kim: The book.
Me: But it says "I". I mean, do you think the book is about you?
Kim: .... I think so?

David: Miss Newhouse
Me: Yes?
David: My ankle hurts really bad.
Me: Why? What did you do to it?
David: I don't know, but I'm going to need to roll myself around in a chair for the rest of the day. (Sitting in rolling chair.)
Me: Umm. ok.
David: Can I roll my chair to lunch, Miss Newhouse?
Me: probably not.
David: (rolls away.)

Kim: Miss Newhouse!
Me: Yeah?
Kim: The sunlight is gone!
Me: What?
Kim: (points to window, where sunlight is clearly streaming through)
Me: Uh...
Kim: No sunlight!

Terrance: Miss Newhouse!
Me: Yes?
Terrance: Miss Newhouse I found it! (holds up temporary tatoo, desk lays in shambles behind him.)
Me: Oh...
Terrance: I'm going to put it on right now, ok?
Me: No, not ok. You need to go to P.E.
Terrance: But Miss Newhouse! If it gets old, it won't work!
Me: I think it will survive 40 minutes. Not to mention all the time it spent in your desk...

Me: And that is where we'll have to stop! Everyone put your folders and nametags away, I'm waiting for the quietest table to get ready to line up!
Everyone: no! It's already over? That felt like two minutes!
Me: Yeah, it's over... sorry?
Everyone: I wish I was in this class! Why is it over?! (we switch classes for science units, which is why they felt this way. They all hug me on the way out.)

(I know that last one sounds made up, but I promise it happened...)

p.s. next week is parent teacher conferences... i can't believe this is my life.



1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha I love these conversations! They really made my day. Kids can come up with such funny things! It remind me of a post I wrote last year, here's the link in case you wonder :) http://www.natalinaland.net/2011/04/maybe-later-today.html

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...