Friday, February 4, 2011

teach me how to dance

Suddenly I feel as if I am on a tightrope. I'm good at walking on this rope, high up in the air, but I'm not moving. I keep looking around, observing my surroundings, trying to decide which way to go. Maybe forwards, maybe backwards... maybe I could just jump off and find a new rope to travel along? People are behind me, gently shoving me forward because they all think I would be happiest going that way. And let's be honest here, even I think I would be happiest if I just moved forward. So I keep taking tiny steps, still looking around, still contemplating. Someone shoves me from behind, and I take a bigger step. This isn't a bad thing, but I turn around feeling perplexed. I was comfortable moving at my own pace. Not making any decisions. 

I feel like a lot of my friends are in the same boat lately. All of us traveling along this path, and all of us coming to a halt when we have to make a decision. I was talking to my friend Carli this morning (I know I talk about her way more than anyone else on this blog... I hope she appreciates it) and she told me that I should stop looking ahead at everything that could happen and just live in the now. My mother has always told me to look ahead, and I have become really good at it. I can see every consequence of every action from every angle, and it's true that sometimes this holds me back. Living in the now is something that we are also often told by many different people. Both of these perspectives are good. It is important to look to the future and see what you may be facing by making a certain choice. It is also important to live for today, every moment, no regrets. So what should we do? 

Look at the consequences of your decision, decide if they are worth it, and stick with what you decide. Whether you are deciding between two good things, a good thing and a hard thing, two hard things... it's up to you to weather it through to the end. So decide right now what you are willing to go through in the future, and then live it to it's fullest potential.

And that is my thought of the day.

p.s. I got a call from one of those automated messages telling me I won a free home security system for my family! I did a little dance pretending that I won something I actually cared about and then hung up the phone.

3 comments:

  1. i totally have the same problem with looking ahead. it holds you back from life! we need to find a happy medium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you talk about me a lot on your blog because rachel seems to be the focus of Jenna's blog... Rachel is nowhere near as cool as I am. I liked that you did a dance when you won a free home security system for your family. You bringa home da bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my. i'm cooler than carli. i'm going to a monster truck show in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...