Monday, April 8, 2013

and then it was april 6... aka my day of being born

I'm a big believer in birthdays. Or in holidays at all, I guess. So usually in April when my birthday is about to happen, I'm extremely aware of the fact. And I try to be all low key and cool about it, but I mean, I can't help but let it slip in most conversations that my birthday is indeed coming up. Only this year, this year was different. I guess I just got so wrapped up in wedding this, wedding that, that I completely forgot there was a reason to celebrate myself. (which i'm sure everyone else was silently cheering about?) So when Friday rolled around and Alex was asking me what I wanted for my birthday - the next day! - I was stumped. I hadn't even given it a second thought.

I can't believe all the things that have happened in the past year. A year ago in April, school was winding down, and I was getting ready for my finals. Single, happy, good weather, working at EFY in the horizon, and no reason to change course. Summer came, along with a cute boy to date, weeks spent guessing what we would do next, weekends spent going on dates and driving back to Logan. Then a trip to England for 10 days, heading back up to school, beginning a full year internship at an elementary school, moving in with four lovely ladies, figuring out how to be a girlfriend. And I know everyone's probably sick of hearing about it, but suddenly months later, I was engaged to be married! And if that isn't the most surreal thing ever, I don't know what is.

This Saturday, my birthday, Alex and I met each other at my grandparents house. Me in a white dress, him in a suit and blindfold, and our friend Lauren there to photograph the whole thing. And I know it was just pictures, we've still got weeks to go... but when that blindfold came off, I just thought, this is right! this has been a good year! i'm 23 and i did my best, and here i am.

So here's to the next year - to doing my best, in every way. because that's really all you can ask of a person.

and  my birthday present to you is... dun dun dun dun! a preview of wedding invites!!

p.s. going back to school today did NOT make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...