Monday, August 5, 2013

have i done any good in the world today?

via
So, I don't even really get dressed during the summer, which is why I don't have pictures to share, but I promise I'll get on that. For now, here is a quote i found on pinterest. surprise, surprise.
So, yesterday in church we were talking about Service. Now, service is a pretty standard topic, it's true. We're always talking about how we can serve and help other people. But yesterday it really struck me. I think mostly because I've been sitting around at home alone a lot this summer. Why the heck have I been sitting at home alone all summer? Why wasn't I out, finding things to do for other people? That's the real question here. It was kind of a wake-up call.

I'll be the first to admit, I've wallowed in some self-pity this summer. This newlywed is a bit possessive of her husband I guess. Even when he is going to work to provide for ME, so that I can go to things like the Nordstrom Sale and not lose our house or anything. What I'm trying to get at here is that I've been thinking a lot about myself while I'm all alone in our little house. When I could have been thinking about OTHERS.

I think that's really what it comes down to - adjusting your focus. I can sit here with the spotlight on myself and worry and wonder about all the things I'm doing, or I can adjust it and focus on the world outside of me. I think this is just a natural human tendency actually, to get stuck in ourselves. So I don't think it's necessarily something we should feel bad about, and I also don't think we should forget about ourselves completely. One of the things I've learned over my life is that you can't truly give yourself to other people until you've taken care of your needs as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I've spent the whole summer taking care of my needs. As this school year starts, I'm going to start trying to be more aware of people around me. I want to notice other people's needs and not be afraid to try to help out, even if it means stepping out of my comfort zone. And sometimes all it takes is a smile, and you've lifted someone else's burden - as cheesy as it sounds, it's true. I want to make other people's lives easier! Who's with me?

What have you done to help serve someone else? Tell me your stories! I love service stories.

p.s. i started watching shark week for the FIRST time. It was a lot scarier than I thought it would be. But also entertaining. But also... annoying because why can't they just prove that giant dinosaur shark lives??????????

1 comment:

  1. I think you're right that we have to take care of ourselves in order to be able to serve others well. But it's tricky to keep balanced and not fall too far on one side or another- either giving too much of ourselves or not enough. The key, I believe, is in learning to live service to others as a lifestyle: in how you handle all your daily interactions with both strangers in passing and the people you are in constant contact with. I struggle with finding the balance, too!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...