Tuesday, September 17, 2013

in my mind and in my heart

A memory you would love to relive.






I woke up at 3:00 that morning. I lay there, staring up at the ceiling in my childhood bedroom. The awareness finally settling deep into my chest that this was it. The last moment I would have to myself in this room. It was a feeling of peace and assurance, but unsettling in the way that big life changes hit you. 

Two hours later, I put on a jacket and some slippers and crept quietly out of the house to go next door and let my neighbor do my make-up. We talked and laughed and made fun of her cat, but I was ready to be done with the primping. My reliable hair girl, Kylee, came to my house that morning and finished the look. I pulled on my beautiful floral dress from my engagement pictures, and headed out to the car with my family. We met Alex and the rest of the family at the Salt Lake temple. I could hardly believe I was actually there. Alex and I gave each other "can you believe this" looks, and held hands tightly. "I have been awake since three!" I told him. He had been awake almost as long. 

The most perfect part of the day was soon to come, as we knelt across the altar from each other in the temple, and made covenants to be faithful for the rest of our lives, and throughout all eternity. One minute, we were simply Madeline and Alex, and the next, we were bound together. Husband and Wife. Partners. Ready to take on life together. It was all-consuming. The joy, I mean. As we looked at each other, and into the faces of those family and friends who were invited to share our special moment. We were looking into our future already. Into everything we could become together. So much potential for greatness.

The rest of the day is a blur of blossoms, pictures, barns, chandeliers, chalk board walls, stunning bouquets, cookies and milk, and people we love so dearly.

And I know it's cliche, but I am telling you, there was no better day in the history of days, and I would live it over and over again.






1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are so stunning!

    Also, please continue blogging forever. I love your writing and you, so reading the blog is a win-win.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...