Sunday, January 30, 2011

and the world spins madly on

Today I watched my six year old neighbor give his farewell talk in sacrament meeting. He's going on a mission to North Carolina. He isn't really six, he's nineteen. Did you think he was six? Mormon's aren't crazy... we don't send small children out on their own to preach to the world. We just send big children.
I was reminded of the times we played games like "kitties and the wolf", and when we hid under the branches of the big pine tree on the golf course so they wouldn't know we were trespassing. Long nights of night games in our backyards. Watching him cry on the pile of bricks in the backyard because he didn't want to have a fake wedding with my little sister.
How did we get here? Everyone is so grown up now. We all have our own lives, our own friends, our own problems, our own successes, our own dreams. Sometimes I would give anything to go back to my eight year old self, rolling down the grassy hill and going on long bike rides with the family.
And then I realize how happy I am where I am, and how glad I am that I even had the opportunity to have these wonderful memories. How grateful I am to have these friends and neighbors to love. 
I'm so lucky.

p.s. sometimes i wish i could tell people they are making the wrong choice. is it really better to let them figure it out on their own?

2 comments:

  1. Just saw him for probably the last time tonight. Sigh. D&C 5:6. There he goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce was down here the other day and was talking about Kyle and his mission. I almost said, "KYLE WHO??" Cuz I remember his son, and he is just a little boy...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...