Wednesday, October 5, 2011

#3. the tall boy who had it all

this is a picture of a lilac bush. you'll find out why later. via
He pulled up to my house in his car, and I was disappointed to see that my sister had all her friends over. Not because I wanted the house to myself, or anything, but more because that just meant the house would be loud and crowded. So he wouldn't want to stay inside. Or would he? I guess I didn't really know him all that well. I honestly was just happy we had gone out together. Our conversation from a couple weeks ago played in my head, "I don't want to get into a relationship right now... a lot of things are happening in my life, and I know that if we continue to hang out..." blah blah blah. Guess he couldn't resist me, huh?

He noticed all the people as well, so we just took a walk around my yard. Talking about nothing. Talking about a lot of things. The night was perfect. The summer air was still warm, and the moon and stars gave my backyard a calm glow. We walked through the grass the full length of my backyard until we got to the garden by the lilac bush. Then he stopped. I stepped up onto the small garden wall, because talking to him would be a lot easier if I didn't have to tilt my head all the way back to see him. 6' 5" is almost too tall...

He said, "Do you smell that? What is that amazing smell?"
"Oh, it's my mom's lilac bush,"I answered, nodding at the bush next to us.
"Really? It's that bush?" He stepped closer to me.
My voice got a little caught in my throat when he put his hands on my waist, but I choked out an intelligent sounding, "Yes."
"What do you do to make it smell so good?" he asked.
Caught off guard by the weird question, and also the fact that he had started kissing my cheek, I could only say, "ummm... a lot of stuff..."
"Like what?" kissing my other cheek.
"Uhh... sugar." I said, completely losing my mind. Sugar? You don't add sugar to bushes Madeline. But I couldn't stop myself.
"What else?" he asked, continuing on with the kissing or various parts of my face.
"umm... honey!" I said desperately. I honestly felt as though my brain had stopped working. 
"What else?" (and on with the face kissing...)
Trying ridiculously hard to think of something else to say, and failing, I gasped out, "I don't know! It's a... uhh... SECRET!"
And then he kissed me for real.
(and this time, I didn't think it was weird. :) )

p.s. you guys. i got a JOB. a good job. an "i'm so extremely happy that this happened!" job.

2 comments:

  1. you have such a talent for keeping your reader interested...

    I think you should write a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, still remember getting the text that this happened. For cuteness on a lilac stick!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...