Friday, December 23, 2011

the reality of christmas

art by walter rane
The reality of Christmas is that - setting all presents and music and memories and parties aside - we are celebrating the most significant day in the history of the world.
"For unto you is born this day, in the city of David, a Savior, which is Christ the Lord."
After all is said and done, it's a beautiful and peaceful thing to sit back and remember why do this every year. The quiet moment when you are looking into the lights on the Christmas tree and thinking, i cannot believe this is all real.
It's unbelievable, isn't it? The fact that Christ is a real person, who was born here to save us. Each one of us. So unbelievable. Thank goodness we have Santa Clause to strengthen our belief system... :)
But honestly and truly, I was walking around Temple Square in Salt Lake City on Tuesday night, and as I watched a small portion of the Nativity scene, I couldn't help but have a moment of thinking - This REALLY happened. These things are true. Christ the Lord was born that day. Choirs of angels sang for Him. Shepherds came to Him. He was born in a manger.
The awesomeness of this story never ceases to amaze me. And the love of our Savior is even more amazing.
The fact that he came here. Even for me, just a girl, to take care of me. To show His love for me. 
For each one of us individually.
It's amazing, inspiring, wonderful, beautiful, and yes, unbelievable.
But this is something I don't just believe.
I know it.
I know it with all my still beating heart. And that knowledge is something that carries me through each day. The fact that someone up there loves me and would die for me. That no matter what happens, I am never alone.
And that is the true reason I celebrate Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...