Monday, February 21, 2011

would you take a walk with me?

Sometimes I wonder what on earth I could do to make my life more interesting. When people ask me what I like to do, they are always faced with my blank stare and my awkward, "umm... uhh... I don't really know the answer to that question..." And it's like, you don't know? You seriously don't know what YOU like to do. It's the easiest question on the planet! Ha. I need a hobby. Badly. All I can say right now is I go to school and work and sleep. And it's not that I like to do those things... ok, well, I like to sleep. But really, what would you say to someone if they said, "I like to sleep!" Not much for conversation unless you get into dreams I guess, and even then I can only remember about four dreams from my lifetime. So what? Am I just uninteresting? I must be boring. I must be one of those people who drifts from place to place with no clear purpose. I must have no drive and motivation. I must be forgetting something about being human! And when I think of the question "What do you like to do?" I think of the question, "What would you like to do?" And that opens whole new doors. Because what I would like to do SHOULD be the answer to what I like to do. So why am I not doing it? Simple. I lack time and money. Oh the woes of a college student. These are the years I should be building my life, discovering myself, and finding joy in the journey! So why does school feel so obligatory? If school is what I am doing, why don't I like it more? I should love it. I should be obsessed. It should be my passion. Except that's the most boring thing I've ever thought of in my life. If I could be doing anything right now I would be traveling the world. I would be teaching children English, sleeping in fancy hotels, dining at outdoor restaurants, backpacking in the mountains, meeting fascinating people, roasting marshmallows on the beach, walking everywhere, gazing at city lights, and buying amazing clothes. What would I like to do?  
I would like to be free.

p.s. last chance to change your answer from embarrassing journal entries to something else... anything else... ha ha.

3 comments:

  1. Madeline, I completely agree with this. I feel like I'm just like you. What do I like to do? I don't know, I don't have time! Sad. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Video games, cooking, and photography. I hate being bored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Kevin Goldberg teaches you to be free, i'd like to learn as well.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...