Wednesday, March 2, 2011

little girl, you're in the middle of the ride

So, it's the first time I've had any time for myself in about a month, and I think I've gone a little bit crazy. Sitting here alone at my kitchen table, at 1:00 in the afternoon, hair still wet from the shower, having just eaten a breakfast? lunch? (brunch?) of waffles, my thoughts are a mess of tangled randomness. I find myself making faces when I remember awkward events of the past, laughing out loud when I read something funny on my laptop, and doing little dances when I hear music... either real or imagined. 

I also have a tendency to relate everything back to the amazing house Haley and I found yesterday to live in. I cannot. stop. thinking. about it. For those few of you who have been privileged to go house/apartment hunting with me, you know I get a little insane. I can't help it. I'm in love with houses. Back in the day, I was all about Interior Design. Somewhere along the line I changed my major to Elementary Education, which I feel very good about, believe me... but the only time I ever question that decision is when I walk into a house. I get this overwhelming feeling of excitement. I am a very excitable person to begin with... stick me in a house, and it all comes out. I wish I could show you pictures of the house we have chosen. I even looked it up on the internet to see if there were pictures - and there weren't - and then I had the thought that maybe I should go take pictures... but people still live there, so that might be creepy. How did this house come to be, you might ask. Well, I'll tell you. And if you aren't asking... stop reading.

Two nights ago, I was tossing and turning in my bed wondering why oh why I had such a feeling of anxiety/stress/excitement welling up inside of me. I couldn't stop thinking about where I was going to live next year. I had to find somewhere fast, or all the good places would be gone!! In a delusional state I pulled my laptop up from it's spot next to me, opened it, and immediately went to google. I found an amazing website, www.trueaggie.com, that had a whole plethora of apartment listings! Fueled with the victory of such a find, I zoomed through the list, typing in apartments and houses that looked appealing to me into my phone. Finally, with relief seeping through me, I placed my computer back where it belonged, and fell into a deep satisfied slumber. In the morning, I pulled out my phone, ignored my text messages, and went straight to the list. I had only written down THREE names. Three. And when I looked back at the website, one of my options wouldn't even work. Apparently I wasn't as successful as I had imagined. However, there was this house that I had written down. Every time I read about it, or looked at the tiny picture, I had this feeling that I just had to live there. I immediately called the number. A cheerful lady named Christine answered and asked how she could help me. In halted words (apparently my excitement caused me to lose normal language skills) I explained that I was interested in the brick house, and were there two spots available for my friend and me? She told me that there were exactly two spots, but there was another girl who had tried to send in her application but it hadn't gotten there, so if we didn't act quickly, the two spots could be gone. Of course I went into panic mode and texted Haley as quickly as possible. It turned out both of us could drop by the house when Christine told us would be the best time, so we did. 
And we fell in love.
Fell in love with the huge living room, the huge dining room, the gigantic kitchen, the staircase, the rooms upstairs with the wooden floors and slanted ceilings... everything. I tried not to act too psychotic with excitement, (me + love of houses + need to have THIS one + coincidence that we COULD have this one = weirdo) because the girl who was showing us around would be our roommate next year, and I didn't want her thinking we weren't cool.
We drove straight to the office, filled out our applications in my car, and handed them to Christine in the flesh. She was a lovely woman. 
And she told us that unless our background checks failed (Haley... you better not have a criminal past...) we would be in by the end of this week.

Sing choirs of angels.

p.s. i am terrible at country dancing.

4 comments:

  1. yay!! i am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! I am so excited! I just hope the fact that I stowed a dead body under the closet carpet at my last place doesn't get in the way...

    Creepy. The word verification is spine. Uhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley's comment totally made me lol (aka laugh out loud).

    You're funny, HL.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...